Thursday, August 5, 2010


Hello Friends!
Well, after several months in prayer, the decision has been made! I am planning on participating in a 9 month internship in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico beginning August 31st. Let me back up by giving a brief overview of the events leading up to this decision, as well as a rough picture of San Miguel and what my time there may look like.

As most of you know, in the fall of last year I spent several months with Great Commandments Ministries (GCM) at a Bible School called Antioch Christian Training School (ACTS). God used this time to not only grow my relationship with Him in a deeper way, but He began to open my heart to more of a willingness to serve Him in whatever way and whatever location He chose. Included in the time with ACTS was a month outreach trip to San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, where our team served alongside the newly developed church, Antioch Bible Community (ABC) with different forms of outreach in the community.

In order to get a better idea of where I will be going, I will attempt to paint a bit of a picture of San Miguel and ABC’s purpose in this community. San Miguel is a city in Guanajuato, Mexico which is located approximately 3 hours north of Mexico City. This city hosts a very unique demographic among the 140,000 people living there. Among this population, 10% are foreign and 70% of these foreigners are from the U.S., drawn to the attractiveness of the city. Since their church plant in February 2009, ABC has had a mission to be a resource for this vast English speaking population.

A few months after returning home from Mexico and after the church planting team arrived home, GCM became aware of a void in some ministries in the church. As families in the church are coming and going for months at a time throughout the year, it has been difficult for certain ministries such as children’s ministry, youth ministry, or worship leading to be permanently filled. With this knowledge, they began to form an internship with plans to send a group of people willing to assist in those needs of the church. After months spent in prayer regarding this opportunity, I began to feel the Lord speak to my anxious, analytical heart that this was the opportunity He was presenting for me to allow faith to take action in my life. I recently heard the idea that God doesn’t want to use us in spite of our weaknesses or limitations, but because of our limitations. To me, this spoke volumes because it’s a reminder that I was created with limitations in order for the Lord, rather than myself, to receive praise for HIS work! Although I have a bit of an idea of the needs in the church, the specific role and ministries I will be apart of will become more apparent once I spend time getting established in San Miguel!

All of this to say: my main goal in sharing my heart and this journey I am on is simply to request support in prayer for the duration of the 9 months in Mexico and the last few weeks leading up to it. Although I feel confident of the direction the Lord is leading me, it often seems unattainable and a bit overwhelming. It would mean so much to me to not only receive encouragement in this time away but also stay connected to the friendships established back at home. So, please let me know if you will be supporting me in prayer, and I would love to keep posted on your life as well!

The cost for the interns to live in Mexico is quite cheap (an estimate of $300-500 per month), as the Lord has provided a place for the interns to live, without any cost for rent; this leaves the main expenses being utilities, food, and travel! This is a huge blessing, as I will most likely have no form of income throughout the time there. If you feel led to support financially (this is tax deductible), a one time or monthly check should be made out to GCM, with my name in the note section and sent to GCM at 71 Dilley Rd Tieton, WA 98947.

Once again, know that I so greatly appreciate your prayers, as that is the most important form of support! The Lord bless you all in the journey you are on!



Over looking San Miguel


A typical looking street in San Miguel


The girls from my ACTS session while in San Miguel

6 comments:

  1. kelley-praise the Lord for your obedience to Him. i am so excited for you. praying for you a He prepares you and your heart for what He is doing in your life! love you girl. :)
    love-shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praising the Lord and praying for you as you open your heart to His leading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can I say? Why are we surprised as God continues to call and lead His children to further His kingdom? Rejoicing with you in this step of faith. Praying Father will guide you, direct you, and protect you.
    His peace i leave you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly- You are such an amazing person and I know that He will guide you in all your decisions down there. I will be missing you much and praying for you often. You will be in my thoughts everyday and I look forward to being beside you on this journey. Not physically, but I will be there with you in spirit :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I for some reason spelled your name wrong up there! ^ Haha. Oops

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Kell.. for some reason I am just now reading this! I am so excited for you.. To see where God is leading you. I added you to my favorites! ;) Love you

    ReplyDelete