Saturday, January 15, 2011

Wow, Where to start?! Almost 2 weeks have gone by since the return to San Miguel, Mexico and it feels like so much has happened in this short time- whether it be external or internal! Time in Ohio for Christmas/New Years was such a blessing and a breath of fresh air; I know without a doubt that the Lord used that time to refresh me for the remainder of the time here in Mexico!

Adjustments this time around seemed much more smooth for me, not as much wrestling internally with so many “new” things and “firsts” as before, for which I am thankful! It has been so great having Natalie here, as she has been such a blessing and a great addition to the team! The day after Natalie and I returned to San Miguel, Antioch community outreach and a partnering church got the privilege to hand out shoeboxes to a nearby village in celebration of Three King’s Day (the equivalent of Christmas Day for the Mexicans). It was so fun to have the chance to be on this end of the gift giving process, as I had never gotten the chance to actually see the way the faces of these kids light up when they they are handed a gift that is there very own! We handed out 1,000 shoeboxes that day, and there were still another 60 some more kids that we took boxes to afterwards because we had ran out!

This past week has been filled with reacquainting with friends, furniture and grocery shopping, and meetings as a team, sharing ways that we can be proactive and intentional with the remainder of the time here. A huge Praise from the Lord this week was His provision for household items that had disappeared while we were gone! To be a bit more specific, the owner of the furniture, kitchen appliances, and various other items we were using in the house needed to sell these items while we were home for Christmas. After returning and spending a few days checking out various yard sales, adds posted, and stores, we checked out a consignment shop owned by some friends that attend Antioch Community Outreach. We were privileged to experience first hand the God “who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think..” (Eph 3:20) We walked in that day simply looking for a sofa and maybe even a chair, and we walked out with more free things than we could count! Everything from sofas, chairs, rugs, microwave, nightstands, etc.. Things that we could’ve done without, but it has made life alot easier/ a more enjoyable place to entertain people with furniture! :) Thank you Jesus for that blessing!!

Most of the other happenings of the week have included some of the various activities that were included in the previous 4 months here. These involve things such as weekly “lunch dates” with Adina and Natalie, time for accountability and sharing what is on our hearts. We have also dove back into weekly visits to “Los Lab,” the assisted living where we read to and play games with some of the residents living there! This week seeing them for the first time in about a month made me realize how much Fun it has been to get to know these fine older people, and how much a consistent time spent with them each week means to them!

Not only has the Lord provided physically for us as a team and a house, but specifically in my heart He has been working- and has used the time in Ohio for Christmas, as well as the first couple weeks here to bring to light areas in my heart that He wants to be Lord over!! The couple times now that i have gotten the chance to live in community with other people have been a great blessing as well as alot of fun, but along with this has come a challenge that I had never previously addressed within my heart. I type this out, asking the Spirit to guide the words that are said to bring Him glory... and although I hesitate to be honest and transparent, that is one of the areas the Lord has been desiring to grow me in- transparency and honesty. I share this because I sure hope that I am not alone in this- and pray that this may be a testimony of encouragement to you of the Lord’s goodness and gentleness of bringing to light sins in our lives, as well as providing victory in those areas! I have realized that for as long as I can remember, it has been extremely difficult for me to be a person that genuinely rejoices in another person’s blessings or gifts- especially if they are areas that I myself have desired to be gifted in. Many times I know that the satan has taken and ran with this sin of envy, bringing with it bitterness and division to some degree in these relationships. Jesus has been showing me as clearly as ever before that He has specific gifts and abilities that He has tailored to fit each person He has created, and He greatly desires for us to wait in Confidence, trusting that He has good things stored up for each person who commits there life to Him.
Jeremiah 17:7-8 has become a new favorite of mine, speaking to this very thing of a heart committed to trusting the Lord. “Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord and whose trust is the Lord. For he will be like a tree planted by the water, that extends its roots by a stream and will not fear when the heat comes; But its leaves will be green, and it will not be anxious in a year of drought nor cease to yield fruit.”

Thank you for your continued support in praying for me in this time of living and serving the Lord here in Mexico! And, In case you ever wonder, I Love and am encouraged by emails and messages that I have received over the months being here! Thank you for YOUR part in the body!

A few specific prayer requests:
1)That I can be sensitive to the Lord’s specific purpose for these next few months here in San Miguel- that He will provide specific people that I can spend time building relationships with.
2)The thing I desire to learn not only for this time here in Mexico, but in whatever “physical location” I am placed is how to invite people into my life to walk alongside together; To allow them to see in that process the Love of Jesus being evident in my heart as I go about life! I know this is only possible when I am submitting to the work of the Spirit living within me!! Please pray that the Lord will grow that ability within me!

No comments:

Post a Comment